Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Empty Place

It's not my normal day to blog, but tonight after my yoga class I was feeling words moving through me and felt inclined to record them as a way to process my grief and sadness through this process.

I am not a poet by any means. But here is my poem of betrayal.

The Empty Place


disbelief, denial, shock
a fragile world came crashing down
the paper walls i cling to, gone
destroyed
by one i trusted


i lie here in this empty place
digging graves inside myself
one by one I lay to rest my
dreams and
hope and
trust and
all the pretty pictures that i painted in my head---
dead


hollow, battered, beaten
Stinging with
disappointment,
heart ache,
grief,
and paralyzing fear.
my intimate companions.
they leave me empty


and alone.


i remember when i’d lie ‘longside a husband, friend, and lover
secure inside our paper house
drew close to him for warmth and safety and
slept in comfortable ignorance


i lie now with reality-- betrayal.
a cold, unfeeling bedfellow
the paper walls couldn’t keep it out
it closes in when time to sleep
and pierces upon waking
it pulls me toward that dark abyss
a tempting place to hide


i find no rest,
no solace here
inside this empty place



Have you tried expressing your pain and grief creatively? I encourage you to try it. Paint a picture, write a story, make a dance. It helps. It's okay to feel the pain and grieve what you have lost. Honor those feelings. Express them. Use the darkness to create.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your pain. This describes it so well. My paper house has burned also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that poem resonates with me. Deeply. The second stanza in particular actually makes me shudder when I read it (I've read it twice so far and have shuddered both times) because of how deeply it resonates with my experience. This is not a happy poem. But it is truth for you and me and so many other women, I think. Thank you for sharing this so we can better bear our sorrows together.

    ReplyDelete